Saturday, September 7, 2013

Cream of Mushroom Soup

SOUP!   I love soup but I really love cream soup which is one of the reasons that I stuck with Atkins for so long.  Cream soups and bacon...yeah Atkins!

Alas, at some point Atkins stopped working for me and I've switched to 5:2 with good success, but I'm having to relearn how to cook some of my favorite dishes with lower calorie options.

In my quest for lower calories I was lamenting my love of cream soups.  What can I substitute for HWC (heavy whipping cream)?  Plain yogurt or sour cream or almond milk?     I did some experimenting and while sour cream works ok it isn't really "low cal".  Yogurt sort of separated with the heat and almond milk just didn't work.  While I really like almond milk, I don't think it works in soups but I do use the heck out of it in coffee.

Enter fat free half and half.  Who even knew there was such a thing????    Here is my Cream of Mushroom soup recipe which has 2 cups per service and 133 calories.



Cream of Mushroom Soup:

Chicken Broth
Yellow Onion
Fat Free Half and Half
Mushrooms


Cooking for an army?   Yep!   That's me.  My freezer is my friend in that I made a giant pot of this and froze individual bags so that I can just defrost one on a fast day.

The easy way:   Chop the onion and heat it with the chicken broth.  Throw in some chopped mushrooms.  Cook until tasty and then pour in the half and half until heated.  That's it.

The harder way to make this soup:  I pour the soup into a blender to really mix it up.  Be careful if you do this when it is hot as your blender is likely to explode via the top from the heat build up.  I save a little chicken broth and put that in the blender with the chopped mushrooms then pour that into the broth / onion mixture that is already heating.



When I put it into the bowl I put a few chopped green onion tops just to add some color.  Honestly, the mushrooms combined with the cream make this soup an unappealing grey color but it is very tasty.



Play around with it and let me know how you liked it and what spin you put on it to make it your own.
Calorie Breakdown:


No comments:

Post a Comment