Thursday, March 22, 2012

Men! They just don't get it! (Christian Grey)

Leave it to men to take the complete wrong points away from the Fifty Shades Series.  I once repeated a friends mantra to my husband that "foreplay starts in the morning".  Meaning, if you want sex later, be nice to me earlier.  What did he take from that statement?   He smacked me on the ass while I was making breakfast for the kids.  Men, they just don't get it.

I read the Twilight Series and fell in love with Edward Cullen.  Then I read The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series and realized that Edward is a toddler.   :)   I loved those books, but alas, I didn't fall in love with any particular characters.  I read Outlander and absolutely love Jamie Fraser (although without the red hair).

My most recent main character that I'm obsessed with is Christian Grey.  After reading message boards about this series, I found one particular comment odd:
Not only do I have to act like a vampire to get my wife's attention, but now I have to be controlling and abusive?
Ok.  Men just don't get it.  At all.  I love this series, but not because Christian hits Ana.  I don't like his overly controlling manner either.  But E L James makes us have empathy for Christian because of his abusive childhood.  (awwwww)  We feel for the boy that he was, just like Ana does.  But what makes him sexy?


  • I like that, first and foremost, he makes One Hundred Thousand Dollars an hour!   That goes a long way into making his stalking tendencies a little easier to take.   I think if we are being honest with ourselves, many will agree.  
  • I sort of like his stalker tendencies.  I mean, who doesn't want someone looking out for you and constantly worried about your welfare?   I would love it if my husband bought the company that I believed in and that I was working for!   She got the job on her own.  
  • The sex.  This is a harder one.  I have the same hard limits as Ana, and probably more than she does.  What we as women like about it is that it is spontaneous and they aren't doing the same thing over and over and over again.  In talking to a lot of my friends, this is a common theme among them.  The lack of spontaneity.  The same old dance time and again.  Throw me a curve ball every now and then.  (I'm not talking about butt plugs or canes btw)   Kiss me passionately out of the blue for no reason.  Kiss me while standing up for a change.  Things like that.  
  • Ultimately, it is about feeling that we are cherished.  
What is it about these characters that I like so much?  It is their undying love for the woman they love.  Their ability to handle any situation that is thrown at them.  And, of course, they are all rich.  Well, Jamie isn't rich, but he seems to be able to trade for anything Clair may need.  And, they all absolutely cherish their women.

So it isn't the controlling and the abuse that we like about the books.  It is the absolute devotion he shows to her and the spontaneity in their sex lives that we enjoy.   Oh, and the idea of simultaneous orgasms doesn't hurt either.