Sunday, June 10, 2012

What is the weight of my yarn?


Being that I'm on a yarn diet, I've been hitting my stash yarn pretty heavily, which led me to the conundrum about the yarn from China.



First, I had to decide what weight my yarn was.  Luckily I found several charts that gave me general consensus of WPI.  (Wraps Per Inch).



You'll need the following:

  1. ruler
  2. pencil or another similar item that you can mark on
  3. chart
Notch the inch measurement on your pencil or similar item.  Now wrap your yarn around the item and count how many times your yarn wraps around.  Make sure you aren't pulling too tight or the counts will be off.  And it doesn't matter what item you use as long as it is the same size (ie, it doesn't taper).  You are measuring how many wraps make an inch and not the length of the yarn.  It is kind of confusing, but it does work.  



So you see, that the grey yarn wrapped more than 18 times so it is indeed a lace weight yarn.  Confirmation!