Friday, June 1, 2012

Waffle Iron Bacon?

I'll admit it.  I'm a freak for cool appliances.  I can't help myself.

Himself was watching some "man show" and they suggested cooking bacon in the waffle iron.  He immediately asked:  "How cool is that?".  I just looked at him and inwardly shook my head.  The only reason he knows where the stove is is because that's where he very occasionally hangs up the tea towel.    So now he's going to cook bacon in a waffle iron?  (No one reads this but if you do and you are a woman I'm sure you see the potential pitfalls of this bacon method.)

Fine.  He thinks it is cool, however he has shared the show and the idea with the two children who REALLY think this would be a good idea.  Hrumph.

So here we go.  They've been talking about this for several weeks and it has not once occurred to him to actually get the waffle iron out to try it.  The kids will not let up so here I go.  Mind you, I know how this is going to turn out, but the willing (if reluctant) participant that I am, I figure what the heck.  It is only going to be a lot of cleaning.  What the heck.  (I might add that Himself has something to do this morning so he isn't even here to witness which means he'll still think this is a good idea)



That is two slices of bacon cut up with scissors.

Pros:

  1. Cooked the bacon evenly
  2. kept the splatter to a minimum
  3. kids thought it was fun
Cons:
  1. only two at a time
  2. kids may think it is fun but it really isn't a participatory sport
  3. grease pools in the waffle iron
  4. waffle irons are made for waffles and thus there is no spout to pour out the grease
I was so concerned with the grease spilling out of my waffle iron that I forgot to take a photo at the end when the bacon was finished.  

The below method is still better I think.  I also have a microwave thingy that is nice but when I'm making bacon for everyone then I use the pan.  If it is just me, I use the microwave thingy.




The waffle iron has been emptied and wiped out thoroughly, but is still not clean.  *sigh*   Maybe I'll make some bacon flavored waffles.

Tomorrow Eggs in a sandwich maker!