Monday, February 21, 2011

No good deed.....

I found out that someone I know from High School's son was in an accident on 12/30.  To make a long story short, some mutual friends started a fundraiser to help with medical expenses.  I haven't seen this guy since high school and we weren't particularly close then.  Sort of mutual friends etc and are "friends" on facebook.  natch!

Well, someone volunteered to head up the fundraiser, his wife works at the Wax Museum downtown New Orleans and got the venue donated and another friends was helping them.  They just needed someone to do the silent auction.  <raises hand stupidly>

So...here I am volunteering to head up a silent auction.  There are two things that I didn't realize going in to this:

  1. that we would get so many things donated (well over 250 individual items)
  2. that people would be so mad at me at the end of the event!
We put things into packages since we just didn't have the space for almost 300 individual items.  I believe that so many people came out to help this family because we all were thankful it wasn't us that had to go through what they were going through.  Given that we didn't have to go through that, the next thing was to help someone who was going through it.  And a whole community did!

The event was last Sat night and I'm glad it is over and I'm also glad I was able to help do some good.  The silent auction raised in the neighborhood of 11K and the fundraiser raised in the neighborhood of 28K (tickets were sold as well as t-shirts and a raffle)

Put a fork in me...I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment