Saturday, August 24, 2013

CauliFried Rice - 106 without chicken or 176 with chicken

While doing Atkins I made a lot of CauliFried rice.  My kids LOVE it which is a plus.  Surprisingly, if I keep the meat to a minimum this recipe works well for the 5:2 as well.

Start with some riced cauliflower (you can grate it or throw it in the chopper then toss it in the  microwave for a few minutes)
green onion
soy sauce
garlic
eggbeaters (optional)

You can add meat or other veggies as you like.  I also add a little cilantro.



Chop up the garlic and green onion.  I use several cloves (around 6) and several stalks of green onion (4).  Normally I'd saute' this with olive oil but since I'm keeping calories to a minimum I just put a tbsp of soy sauce in the hot pan and used that to saute'.



Once the onion and garlic have cooked a bit I add in 3 tbsp of eggbeaters.  Once the egg is cooked, I add the riced cauliflower and a few more tbsp of soy sauce.  Saute' everything for a few minutes stirring often so that the cauliflower doesn't steam and get mushy.

You can add in chicken or pork or shrimp or whatever protein you want.  Just be sure to count your calories.



I saved half the riced cauliflower (before putting in the microwave) for a different meal and made the caulifried rice with half a head of cauliflower.  I ate half of that...so a forth of a head of cauliflower. Here is the calorie breakdown as taken from myfitnesspal.  Note:  image above includes chicken which was 70 calories in addition to the ingredients below.