Saturday, August 24, 2013

Getting back with it

I've been away from blogging (at least out in the open) for a while.  I was turned off when my shrimp recipe started making the rounds on facebook but all the people trying to get likes and shares.  They were sharing my shrimp recipe as their own!   Now I don't get anything from posting on this blog and it annoyed me that they didn't give credit so I just made all my posts after that "private".

What have I been up to in the mean time?   You didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway.  After traveling a lot during the first half of the year I seemed to have put on about 10 lbs.  YIKES!   Also, in Jan I was put on Synthroid for a thyroid deficiency and a side effect of that is weight gain.  Between the Synthroid and the traveling (ie not doing low-carb when not home) I put on 10 lbs.

Another problem I was having was that when I would go off of Atkins I'd swell something fierce.  To me, I looked almost unrecognizable.  It was awful.  Not like running over a kitten awful, but proportionally awful for me.   The carbs were shocking my system and I wasn't sure how to get around it as for me personally, being away from home made low-carbing way harder.

In July we traveled to London where I read about the 5:2 diet   We got back and I figured I'd give it a try.  The premise is that you fast for two days and eat normally for 5 days.  The two days do not have to be consecutive.    The fast days are not truly fasting as you are allowed 500 calories.  So, I could eat carbs and potentially loose weight?   Would this stop my swelling?   Would the change in diet shock my system and could I see the scale go down?  

What I was doing wasn't working so I thought I'd give it a try.  Told Hubby about it and he thought I was nuts, but he had gained 20 lbs since the end of last year so he was game to try too.

I'm only telling you all of this in case you follow my blog looking for low-carb recipes.  I'm now watching calories only.

Having been doing 5:2 way of eating since August 8th 2013, I have done 6 fasts over 2.5 weeks and have lost about 3 lbs.  I'm ok with slowly loosing as long as the scale is moving in the downward direction.